Saw horses can be very simple, with just a plank and four legs to support wood for cutting. In some cases, you need the saw horse to be versatile, easy to store, and hold a lot of weight. If you are a serious craftsman, you may find that certain saw horses are rated better for different projects, and you may even use them more than you do your workbench since they don’t have a fixed length.
When looking for woodworking equipment that can hold a lot of weight, you want to make sure to invest in something that is made with good materials and is a high-quality piece. A saw horse may seem like an item you don’t have to worry too much about, but it is one of those essential pieces you need for your workshop. Here are a few tips on what to look for in the best sawhorses and a few reviews to help you start shopping.
BEST SAWHORSES: Some Products
WORX Pegasus Multi-Function Work Table – Best Versatile Saw Horse
- FOLD AND GO: More than just a workbench for garage use, the Pegasus goes anywhere you need extra support . It’s easy to pop open for set up, it folds down compact to save on storage space, and fits under your arm for comfortable carrying
- TWO-IN-1 DESIGN: Seamlessly transition between a workbench and a sawhorse to tackle projects of all sizes
- HEAVY-DUTY SUPPORT: As a portable workbench, it offers a high load-bearing capacity up to 300 lbs. As a sawhorse, it supports an impressive 1000 lbs. From bulky lumber to potted plants and bikes to heavy equipment, Pegasus can handle the pressure
- EASILY EXPANDABLE: If you need more room, simply add another Worx support table—such as the Pegasus, the Sidekick, or Clamping Sawhorse. They’re all the same height and use the same connectors for seamless attachment
- LARGE SURFACE AREA: With a surface size of 31" × 25" and a working height of 32", this folding work table provides enough space to suit a variety of applications, from staining and woodworking to painting and repairs
With the innovative WORX Pegasus, you can tackle projects in a whole new way. A great saw horse for either DIYers or professionals, the versatility of the Pegasus allows you to convert it from a saw horse to a work table in seconds. You can also combine it with other Pegasus tables to make a large work surface that features a dual clamping system that can hold an object in place securely.
With the ability to support up to 300 pounds, the Pegasus has a 31 x 25-inch surface that includes the unique link-lock system, which guarantees that the table will be able to hold heavy materials without folding or buckling. The two quick-adjusting bar clamps glide alongside the built-in tabletop that essentially gives you another pair of hands to hold materials in place to paint, glue, cut, or varnish. With four holding pegs, you can rearrange them to hold either rounded or irregularly shaped objects securely.
With the ability to hold up to 1,000 pounds when in saw horse mode, it has indentation wells for holding a 2 x 4 steady while you work and locking legs to keep everything steady. Weighing only 35 pounds, it is also a lightweight and compact saw horse ,making it very portable. Its built-in lower shelf holds your power strip and tools for easy access. This saw horse is easy to store; it folds flat when you are done working.
- Has a large work surface
- Ready to use right out of the box
- Positive lock in clicks to various positions
- Heavy and not as sturdy as you would expect
- The top isn’t flat so you may have to mount a piece of plywood for a flat surface to work on
Target Precision Rugged Buddy – Best Heavy-Duty Saw Horse
- A pair of rugged, customized sawhorse legs
- Supports over 1,000 pounds, yet weighs only 12 pounds
- Legs constructed of 1-1/4-inch diameter steel tubing; legs lock solidly in place when opened
- Legs capped with non-slip, non-scratch rubber tips
- Legs weigh 12 pounds; 34-inches long
With the ability to hold up to 1000 pounds, the Target Precision Rugged Buddy Saw horse weighs only twelve pounds and is made with 1 1/4-inch diameter steel tubing. The legs of the saw horse are rugged and customizable so you can set up your saw horse to your preferences. The legs have a powder coat finish and are capped with rubber tips that are non-scratching and non-slip.
The Target Precision Saw Horse is also easy to store with foldable legs that lock solidly in place when in use. The legs are sold in pairs, so you just need a piece of wood to place over the top to complete your saw horse. This is a very stable saw horse and works on any type of floor.
With the heavy duty set of legs, you can also create a great utility table with some 2 x 4’s. The Target Precision Saw Horse holds a good-sized table steady while supporting a lot of weight, plus the locking latch is good quality and is simple and solid.
- Good heavy duty product
- Sturdy but still portable
- Easy mounting and good latches
- Uses a powdercoat instead of paint
- The release tang on the legs is hard to release
Keter Folding Compact Workbench – Best Go-To Saw Horse
- Folding workbench ideal for DIY projects, home improvements, table saws, and even the worksite with a unique quick opening and folding system for easy storage and portability
- Weather-proof polypropylene construction to avoid rusting, peeling, and denting with a lightweight design and sturdy carrying handle to take your workbench anywhere
- Made of heavy-duty plastic and aluminum legs for a workspace capacity of 1,000 pounds; Workbench folds down to 4.4 inches thick for easy storage in a pinch
- Opening and folding system allows you to quickly store this workbench after a busy day of work and features slim dimensions of 33.5 inches long, 21.7 inches wide, and 29.7 inches tall
- Includes (2) 12-inch clamps to secure materials and simplify your woodworking process; Measures 33.46 inches long, 21.65 inches wide, and 4.4 inches tall when folded
Providing a sturdy but portable work area, the Keter Folding Work Table can be used for a wide range of projects. This is a durable folding work table that gives your work support you can depend on. It also comes equipped with a pair of one-handed clamps that will securely hold the materials for your project in place.
Likely to become your go-to source for reliable work support, the Keter portable workbench is rated for 1000 pounds and gives you a roomy surface area measuring 33.46 x 21.65 inches and it holds up to 1000 pounds. The Keter easily folds up into a compact size despite its heavy-duty abilities, making it easy to store when you are finished with it. The included carrying handle means it is easy to move to a different spot, and it is also has a fast and simple reassembly.
Made of weather-resistant materials and quality construction, the Keter can easily adapt to any working environment. Constructed of rugged polypropylene resin, the work table can withstand a lot of abuse and will last a long time. This is a great table for either a DIYer or a contractor, and it will enable you to work well at a job site or in your garage.
- Very sturdy and heavy duty
- Easy to fold up and move
- Really compact and handy to store
- After a couple of uses, it becomes harder to lock the legs to stabilize it
- Too much flex in the legs so it skids when you apply pressure
2x4Basics 90196 Black ProBrackets – Best Bracket Saw Horse
- Lumber not included with each kit
- Brackets made of heavy gauge structural resin
- Can support up to 2000 lbs (900 kg) per pair
- Easily assembles with only a screwdriver
- Includes all hardware - 4 brackets, and 8 stabilizing feet to make 2 sawhorses
With a larger capacity, the Basics ProBrackets Saw Horse has a wider surface area that would normally need four or more regular sized saw horses to complete. It also features a handy lower shelf and is easy to customize with the included kit. By adding 2 x 4’s to the saw horse, you can make a pair of saw horses at any length you choose, making it perfect for a wide range of projects around the house.
With a simple assembly, the Basics Saw Horse is rated for 2000 pounds with its strong and sturdy construction and includes four brackets and eight stabilizing feet. For double capacity use, the Basics Saw Horse features two levels. It is one of the more versatile and adaptable saw horses on the market and is easily extended by including two or three wood boards making it solid, flexible, and sturdy.
- Assembly is easy with simple instructions
- Lower level adds both storage and rigidity
- Solid saw horse that fits well
- Hard to fit bowed wood in the slots
- Excess plastic in the molds make it hard for 2 x 4’s to fit
WORX WX065 – Best Saw Horse for DIYers
- [CUSTOM MADE CLAMPS] These two sawhorses come with integrated bar clamps to fasten big or small projects securely in both vertical and horizontal positions
- [LIGHTWEIGHT & EASY TO MOVE] At only 4 lbs. each, you can toss them into the back of a vehicle or store them in the corner in-between projects
- [SUPPORTS 1000 LBS] And the clamps provide up to 300 lbs. of pressure. Hold heavy projects securely in place for as long as you need
- [STORAGE SHELF] On the bottom of these sawhorses we’ve made a place to hold a power strip or supplies. Give your workspace an extra shelf or more storage
- [DO IT YOURSELF. DO IT BETTER. DO IT WITH WORX.] WORX tools are engineered with cutting-edge technology, and above modern efficiency standards, so you can build a cost-effective tool collection that’s been designed to last
If you are ready to tackle a few projects around your house, the WORX WX065 Saw Horse will help you improve your DIY skills. This versatile saw horse will help you streamline your workshop and complete a variety of projects. Acting like a second pair of hands, the WORX WX065 clamps materials up to 18 inches wide securely and safely right to the saw horse while you work.
Perfect for woodworkers, DIYers, or new homeowners, the WORX WX065 is a great gift idea. The WORX WX065 Saw Horse is constructed with lightweight and durable thermoplastic polymer material. The included clamps are easy to attach and detach, and they can hold material either horizontally or vertically, allowing you to work from any angle.
This is a durable and handy saw horse that can hold up to 1000 pounds but is still portable and easy to store, making it perfect for small workspaces. Each leg includes a 2-inch wide indentation on top to securely hold materials steady. Plus, it includes a built-in lower shelf with a cord that keeps all your tools organized and handy. The WORX WX065 Saw Horse folds up easily for space-saving storage when you are done with your project.
- Affordable price, good value
- Stable and durable
- Integrated clamping is secure and steady
- Table can tip over with the weight from the clamps
- Not enough jaw depth
Stanley STST60952 Jr – Best Folding Saw Horse
- ST JR SAWHORSE
- ST JR SAWHORSE
- ST JR SAWHORSE
- ST JR SAWHORSE
- ST JR SAWHORSE
With the ability to hold up to 800 pounds, the Stanley Folding Saw horse is constructed with a V-groove that holds different types of materials in place. This lightweight saw horse is easy to transport and includes a built-in tray that keeps your tools handy and organized. This high-quality product is a perfect saw horse for supporting materials and tools and will help you increase your productivity.
If you enjoy doing small projects around the house, the Stanley Folding Saw Horse is ideal for DIYers. It is lightweight enough that you can easily move it around, but still sturdy enough to hold a good amount of weight, plus it folds easily for storage.
With its heavy-duty and foldable frame, the Stanley Folding Saw Horse provides a spacious and stylish work space that can also hold pipes and lumber securely with the included V-grooves. This sturdy saw horse has a spacious top and durable frame, enabling you to finish your projects easily. It is also lightweight so you can move it easily from one job site to another as you work.
- Lightweight and compact
- Very portable and versatile
- Great for small projects and small spaces
- Not very sturdy, falls over easily
- You have to put weight on the bottom flap so it stays open
Hitachi Heavy Duty Saw Horse – Best Value Product
- Hitachi Power Tools has renamed to Metabo HPT. Same great tools, with only a new name.
- Leading capacity at 1,200 lbs per pair
- Includes 2 sawhorses and 4 sawbucks
- Sawbucks designed to hold 2x4 flat on its side
- Built in shelf and cord hooks
Rated for a 1200 pound capacity, the Hitachi Heavy Duty Saw Horse is lightweight and portable so you can move it around your job site. With the additional Hitachi Green Sawbucks, you can support a 2 x 4’s flat side and extend or raise your work surface area so you can support 4 x 8 sheets.
Light enough that it can be moved easily, the Hitachi is still sturdy enough to support heavy loads. Additional storage is provided with a built-in shelf and cord hooks, helping to keep your tools organized and easy to access. The Hitachi Heavy Duty Saw Horse also features indentions that support 2 inch thick pieces of lumber.
With good balance and strength, this is a very stable piece that is also versatile and very easy to store. Although it is really good for projects around the house, this saw horse is also great for on-site construction and tackles everything you throw at it. The Hitachi can withstand heavy loads and multiple uses, making it a great product at an affordable price.
- Versatile and stable
- Great to use for heavy loads
- Very easy to store, great value
- Doesn’t come with an instruction manual
- Hard to get locking platform to mesh together
Trojan TS-35 – Best Adjustable Saw Horse
No matter what length you need, the Trojan TS-35 can fit your project with a simple and quick set up. This is one of the strongest and toughest saw horses on the market and features legs that can adjust for any level terrain. Its durable plated and powder coated finish will last you many years. Plus, it features thick 1/8 inch thick welded construction with legs that fold easily for compact storage.
Sold in pairs, the Trojan Saw Horse legs come in pairs to create a single saw horse. You get two heavy 1/8 inch thick steel legs that create an “A” shaped support at each timber’s edge. They are easy to assemble with gripping teeth instead of screws or nails, and the saw horse folds flat for easy storage or to transport in your truck.
This is a convenient saw horse that looks good and is easy to carry. This is a great foldable saw horse when you are working on a light bundle of weight. With its various scores on top, it will solidly hold the weight of any material you place on top.
- Easy to change height and length
- Folds down easily for storage
- Strong, durable, and sturdy
- Needs better hardware
- Length and holes of the leg locks are not consistent from part to part
Why You Need a Sturdy Saw Horse – Buyer’s Guide
Familiar in workshops and at the job site, saw horses basically function as a portable work stand that is designed to move around from project to project. In your home workshop, they can often become a dedicated surface like worktables and benches. This is often due to the fact that traditional saw horses take up a lot of room to store. This is often valuable space that could otherwise house drill presses or table saws. Still, they are an essential piece in any home workshop, and these days they can also either be folded or broken down quickly so you can easily store them and use them only when you need them.
How to Choose the Best Saw Horse
Modern saw horses can be configured in one of three ways. There are models that come complete and only need to be unfolded when you want to use them. Others have legs that are manufactured require you to just install a crossbeam. And then there are other saw horses that are only the brackets, so you have to provide the crossbeam and the legs.
Each of the three different configurations appeal to different people, so it is important to look at the key points of each before deciding on a model type. If you want a model that you can throw in your truck and take to the job site, you want a saw horse that can become compact to transport and weigh 25 pounds or less. Also, your average saw horse is between 24 and 27 inches in height, so you may want to find a saw horse that is either taller or smaller depending on your own height. Adjustable legs are also a great feature, giving you lots of versatility with your projects.
Manufactured saw horses come in a complete package that only needs to be unfolded to use and then folded up again to store. They also come as a pair of manufactured legs that you add a 2 x 4 to as a crossbeam, which is a less expensive option compared to the complete kit. The last option is purchasing just the brackets and then you supply the legs and crossbeam.
All of these options have their benefits. It is necessary for you to consider their portability, comfort, and strength when you choose which design to go with.
- Strength – Complete saw horses and high quality leg-only models, either steel or wood, are pretty sturdy for almost any type of project that you will be working on.
- Portability – You will find that most manufactured saw horses are a lot more portable than homemade saw horses since you can easily fold them up and stick them in your trunk. They are also lightweight enough to carry to work and often come with a handy carrying handle.
- Comfort – The average height of a saw horse is between 24 and 27 inches, which is a comfortable height for most people. If you are taller or shorter than this, you will probably want to choose a model with adjustable legs so you can make cuts without straining your back. Adjustable legs are beneficial for when you are working on a surface that is uneven.
Crossbeams are also an important consideration. Crossbeams that are narrow are a good surface for placing long runs of trim for painting, while a wider crossbeam is a better choice if you are also using your saw horse for a workbench.
When using bracket hardware, you may need extra wood and time to assemble it. However, this method will let you create a horse with the crossbeam height and leg height that you prefer. Make sure you spend a little extra money to get a dependable set of brackets and don’t settle for the cheap sheet-metal versions.
Features to Look For in a Saw Horse
So, with so many saw horses on the market, how can you decide between all of the designs and models? This really depends on your individual needs. If you work with larger boards, you will need a saw horse that is pretty durable and can handle a heavy load. However, if you are only doing light work, you can look for a sturdy but lightweight saw horse that you can also fold to store out of the way. Here are a few features to consider when you are searching for the ideal saw horse.
When considering the materials for a saw horse, obviously metal is going to be the strongest. Plastic can also be a good option for a lightweight option that is more portable and easier to transport.
Folding Saw Horse
A folding saw horse is really a good thing for two reasons: storage and portability. With a non-folding horse, you have a pretty big footprint which can become a bigger issue if you have more than one and they aren’t stackable. With a folding saw horse, keep in mind that with the more lightweight models, they cannot withstand as much weight.
Adjustable Saw Horse
With an adjustable saw horse, you can adjust the height either through extending its legs or through a top piece that lifts. This can be helpful if you have a tall piece that you are working on that needs to be lowered or to raise up a temporary bench. Make sure to keep your work area level, since a saw horse that is not level will throw off cuts and measurements.
Tool Storage Area
Many saw horses will also have a low shelf or shelf section by the legs where you can store and organize your tools. In the case of a folding saw horse, they might have a shelf that can flip down and also add structural rigidity and strength.
Dimension and Size
The dimension of the work surface should be a consideration when looking at saw horses. Depending on the projects you have planned, a surface that is too small can frustrate you if you are working with large and heavy pieces of wood. Make sure the surface area fits your needs.
Height is also important, especially if you are very tall or short. If your saw horse is too short for you, you will end up injuring your back from bending over a lot, so make sure the height of the saw horse matches your needs.
There are lots of people that don’t use their garage or an enclosed place to work, but prefer to work in an open area. Lightweight models are becoming increasingly popular for those that prefer to change up their work spaces. Make sure to check the weight of your saw horse to make sure it isn’t too heavy to be moved freely. Saw horses that have good portability tend to be the foldable kind that you can easily carry and store.
Depending on the size of the saw horse, your saw can be very heavy. This isn’t always the best choice as heavier saw horses tend to also be more expensive. If you are only using it as a hobby, then spending a lot might be a bad decision. However if you are a professional, a big heavy duty model might be the best saw horse for you.
Ease of use
One of the best features of a saw horse is its ease of use. Easy assembly is a great feature, as are non-slippery feet since a base that slips often can be a safety hazard.
The best saw horse for your needs is a saw horse that you feel comfortable working with. It should have the right height, safety features, and dimensions to work with the projects you have planned. Just make sure you know what you need before you start shopping so you can choose the best model that fits into your budget.