From skinning to cutting meat, the best deer gutting knife is one of the essentials in hunting. The sharp blade is versatile enough to serve other purposes, such as setting up temporary shelter in the wild and even for survival. Read this quick guide and we’ll help you decide what to buy.
Our Top 4 Picks for the Best Deer Cutting Knife 2023
The options are plenty, but they are not all the same. Below are some of the top products to consider as well as a few of their notable features.
Kershaw 1555TI Cryo Folding Knife
- KERSHAW CRYO POCKET KNIFE: Designed in collaboration with custom knifemaker, Rick Hinderer, the Cryo is a sturdy, aesthetically pleasing knife that feels good in hand. Voted Blade Magazine’s 2012 Best Buy of the Year and 2013 Men’s Journal Approved Gear.
- DROP POINT PLAIN EDGE BLADE: 8Cr13MoV pure stainless steel blade and handle with titanium carbo-nitride coating for added protection and unified look. Corrosion resistant for a knife that’s functional and durable. Matte gray handle and blade.
- DESIGNED WITH SAFETY IN MIND: assisted opening with flipper opening for quick, secure one-handed blade deployment. Frame lock features Rick Hinderer’s lockbar stabilization, to prevent lockbar over-extension.
- FEATURES 4-POSITION DEEP CARRY POCKETCLIP for right/left and tip-up/down carry. For use in everyday and work environments. Ideal as an EDC or for use while working, hiking, hunting, camping, and more.
- SIZE SPECIFICATIONS: Blade Length: 2.75in. Closed Length: 3.75in. Overall Length: 6.5in. Weighing in at 4.1oz. Backed by Kershaw’s Limited Lifetime Warranty.
A cut above the rest – that is one of the best ways to describe this option for a deer gutting knife. Made by one of the premier American knife manufacturers, we love this product because of its material. It is made of 100% pure stainless steel, so you can expect it to withstand tough use. Even better, it has a titanium carbo-nitride coating, which makes it more durable. Despite the exceptional construction, this knife is surprisingly affordable.
More so, we also love this product because of its quick deployment, making it user-friendly. It has Speed Safe Opening System, an innovation exclusively developed by the company. The latter will allow you to open the blade in an instant and with the use of just one hand.
Lastly, it comes with a secure locking system to make it safe. It remains locked unless it is ready to use, unlike others that can open accidentally.
Outdoor Edge Wild Pak 8-piece Hunting Knife
- COMPLETE 8-PIECE FIXED BLADE HUNTING KNIFE SET – This field dressing kit is equipped with all the necessary tools to efficiently and skillfully process your wild game. It comes with a knife for gutting and skinning, a caping knife, a boning knife, a bone saw, a ribcage spreader, game cleaning gloves, and a tungsten carbide sharpener to guarantee a sharp blade. All of these tools are conveniently organized in a compact, lightweight hard-side case, perfect for taking with you on your hunting trip.
- RAZOR SHARP KNIVES – This game processing kit for deer and elk boasts razor-sharp knives that are perfectly balanced. The full-tang 420J2 stainless steel blades undergo precise heat treatment, taper grounding, and hand finishing to achieve a shaving sharp edge, resulting in superior edge retention and performance.
- RUBBERIZED NONSLIP TPR HANDLES – This field processing knife set features ergonomically designed TPR handles that are rubberized and nonslip. These handles are blaze-orange in color, making them highly visible. They reduce hand fatigue after prolonged usage and provide a comfortable and secure grip, even in the slickest of conditions.
- LIGHTWEIGHT COMPACT HARD-SIDE FIELD CARRY CASE – This hunting knife set comes with a convenient, compact, and lightweight hard-side field carry case. All the tools fit snugly in their designated slots, ensuring that they remain clean, dry, and well-organized, making them easy to access during your hunting trip. Its portability makes it the perfect addition to your field hunting gear backpack.
- SERVICE FOR LIFE – At Outdoor Edge, we take pride in crafting durable and reliable tools that stand the test of time. If you encounter any issues with your Outdoor Edge knife, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. Our team is dedicated to addressing all replacement and service requests promptly and efficiently.
An essential investment for hunters, this set comes with all of the most important pieces you will need. It has a caping knife, gut-hook skinning knife, boning and fillet knife, wood/bone saw, ribcage spreader, game cleaning gloves, and carbide sharpener. Best of all, there is a convenient carrying case that keeps everything organized. All of these weigh only about two pounds, so portability is never an issue.
The top-of-the-line knives are equipped with exceptional full-tang stainless steel blades. They have been heat-treated, so you can be confident of their durability. Plus, the blades have been hand-finished to provide long-lasting sharpness.
Aside from the blade, the handles are also impressive. They are made of non-slip rubber, making them ergonomic and easy to grip. There is an elkhorn inlay pattern for superior control and a minimal fatigue.
Havalon Piranta-Edge Blaze Hunting Knife
- Overall length of the knife open is 7.25" inches
- Easy-grip black rubber inlay, liner-lock construction and pocket clip
- Easy-to-find blaze orange handle
- Each knife includes 12 additional stainless steel 60A blades
- Sharp replaceable blades
For faster and easier skinning and gutting, it is hard to go wrong with this knife. When the knife is open, the overall length is 7.25 inches. This is inclusive of both the blade and handle. The handle has a black rubber inlay, which is easy to grip. Even when your hand is wet, holding the knife is easy and comfortable. No need to worry that it will slip off your hand!
The best thing about this product is that it is inclusive of 12 stainless steel blades. They are made using premium material to guarantee longevity and exceptional sharpness. You can expect the best bang for the buck when you purchase this knife set.
Aside from the blades, you will also receive a nylon holster. This makes it easy to keep the knife tucked neatly when not used.
Outdoor Edge 3.5-inch Razor Lite EDC Knife
- POCKET KNIFE WITH RAZOR-SHARP REPLACEABLE BLADES – Replacing blades is quick and effortless! Whenever a blade becomes dull, simply remove it and insert a new one with a razor-sharp edge. This EDC knife is perfect for everyday use or as a hunting knife to skin and field dress your deer.
- TOP-QUALITY REPLACEMENT BLADES – Our replacement blades are crafted of high-quality stainless steel, featuring a razor-sharp edge that cuts with ease. These blades undergo precise heat treatment, ensuring excellent edge retention. Every knife comes with 6 blades and extra blade packs are available for separate purchase.
- STRONG BLADE HOLDER -- The blade holder is constructed from resilient 420J2 stainless steel and features a high-quality black oxide coating. This combination offers the durability of a traditional knife and the accuracy of a surgeon's scalpel.
- NON-SLIP HANDLE AND POCKET CLIP – This knife boasts a robust yet lightweight Grivory fiberglass/nylon polymer frame with a non-slip rubberized TPR grip. Additionally, it comes equipped with a sturdy stainless-steel pocket clip, ensuring that the knife is always easily accessible.
- SERVICE FOR LIFE – At Outdoor Edge, we take pride in crafting durable cutting tools that stand the test of time. If you encounter any issues with your Outdoor Edge knife, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We are committed to addressing all replacement and service requests promptly and effectively.
If you are looking for a knife that you can carry with you every day, not just when you are hunting, then this is one of the best products to consider. It is made of Japanese stainless steel blades, which are crafted with perfection in mind. They are heat-treated for excellent edge retention, so you won’t need to sharpen your knife ever! This set is inclusive of six sharp blades. They are also black oxide-coated, making them more durable.
Just like the blade, the construction of the handle is equally notable. It is made of a combination of glass and nylon. The textured grip is also a plus, which will make it effortless to hold. The rubberized orange grip is fastened by a polymer.
If you are still not convinced to buy this product, one thing that can make you change your mind is that it comes with a free service for life.
How to Choose the Best Deer Gutting Knife
Especially if you are buying a deer gutting knife for the first time, you will be overwhelmed. If you need help narrowing down the possibilities, below are the most important considerations.
This is the most important part of the gutting knife. This is what will be doing most of the work, making it a crucial consideration. Look at the material used. Stainless steel and carbon are the most common. Make sure that it is sharp and strong enough to withstand heavy and long-term use.
Aside from the material, the shape of the blade is also a crucial consideration. Some might assume that having a sharp end is the best, but that is not the case. If the knife is sharp-ended, it can destroy the hide. It is best if the knife has a blunt or rounded end. There are also some models with chromium and vanadium, which can help in the prevention of corrosion.
The length of the blade is also critical. Most deer gutting knives will have a short blade, which will also make it easy to hold and control.
Choose a handle with an ergonomic design, which will make it easy to hold. It should have the right size, depending on what fits your hand. A lot of the knives mentioned above have a textured grip. This means that holding them will be effortless, even if your hand is wet. They are also safe since you can have excellent control and minimal chance that the knife will be slipping off your hand.
It is also a good idea to pick one that comes with a sheath, which is often made of nylon. There are some models with a leather sheath, which are more expensive. The latter will make it easy to carry the knife while also protecting it from dirt and debris.
Gutting knives are hunting accessories. Therefore, they should be compact and lightweight without compromising performance. Pick one that is easy to bring with you wherever you go. It must fit in your pocket and should never be a burden to carry.
How to Pick a Hunting Knife
Got questions about deer gutting knife? We’ll try to answer some of them below.
What is a deer gutting knife?
As the name implies, it is a knife used for gutting a deer or any animal. From opening the belly of a deer to getting rid of its insides, this knife is functional. It is a knife used for the removal of the internal organs of a deer, including the liver, heart, and intestine, among others. Nonetheless, it is designed to be a versatile hunting companion, so you can use it in other situations where a sharp blade is needed.
What is the use of a gut hook on a gutting knife?
One of the common features that you will find in a gutting knife is a gut hook. It splits the skin of deer or any other game animal you are opening. There is a hook to open the abdomen without the need to cut the muscle. In turn, this improves the quality of the meat.
How do you keep your gutting knife sharp?
The sharpness of a gutting knife is directly related to its performance. To keep it sharp, use a stone, honing rod, or similar device. Also, avoid using the knife on hard materials to prevent the blades from getting dull quickly. It is also a good practice to keep the knife in a sheath when not used to protect against external elements that can speed up wear.
How do you clean a gutting knife?
Use warm water and mild soap for cleaning the blade. If it is made of carbon steel, use baking soda instead of soap. Wipe the blade using a clean cloth once the soap has foamed. Do not use abrasives. If there are visible stains, use salt and vinegar. Do not touch the blade using your bare hand. Dry the knife and store it in a dry place.